Get my motivational e-book,
Reach Past Your Limits

Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Are you in? Updated ways to follow The Ink!

NFL Week 1 and College Football Picks

College football is already entering its third week of action, the NFL already has controversy and its first game decided on the final play of the game, and I already have a win in my pocket in the NFL season opener thanks to Isaiah Likely’s big toe.

money
Welcome back, everybody. It almost feels like the first day of school as I write the first weekly “picks post” of the new football season. Tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of the reboot of the “Ink,” and I hope to do things bigger and better this year. It’s already been one of the busiest weeks ever on the blog with five straight days of football posts. We’re also welcoming our first new contributor to the blog! That’s right – I can mean it when I say “we” around here. And we have a fresh look with a new template and some better pictures! I also have some changes coming in the way I post my picks and how I put out notifications for posts on social media and via e-mail.

All we need now is you! As always, your comments are invited and encouraged in the comments.

I recapped my picks statistics from last year in yesterday’s post – see the link in the first paragraph – so, let’s get right to this weekend’s games:

Tennessee -8.5 (-109) vs. NC State for $10 to win $9.20 (listed as a neutral site)

Nebraska -6 (-114) vs. Colorado for $10 to win $8.80

Maryland -9.5 (-115) vs. Michigan State for $10 to win $8.10

Detroit Lions -4.5 (-109) vs. LA Rams for $10 to win $9.20

GB Packers +112 (moneyline) vs. Eagles for $10 to win $11.20 (in Brazil)

The first four are heavily based on other people I listen to taking the games. Tennessee scored a ton of points (69) in their warm-up against Chattanooga and this line has jumped up. I think Colorado is over-valued because people love Deion Sanders, the head coach. Maryland put up 50 points in their warm-up last week against Connecticut, while Michigan State scored 16 versus FAU.

In the NFL games, the Rams have an injury and a suspension issue. As for the Eagles game, I just think the Packers might be a little more prepared having played out of the country previously.

I treaded lightly, and recommend readers do the same. It’s too early to know much about any team.

As I mentioned, I’ll be posting picks a little bit differently this year. I will still have a weekly post, usually on Fridays (though I’m debating moving it to Thursdays), with my picks for the upcoming weekend and a review of my win-loss record along with my bank roll update. But if I add a game during the weekend or on Monday night or whenever, there will be another post. I will no longer add picks in the comments – but you are certainly encouraged to do so! Bottom line my blog statistics from the last 12 months tell me that picks rule, so I’m doubling down on those posts.

I welcome reader feedback on receiving notifications if I add a pick after the weekly post. I’ve always promised not to inundate subscribers with e-mails, and I think that’s important. For now, I plan the usual e-mail and social media notifications (except Instagram, which I may use more sparingly) for the weekly post on picks and other types of posts (such as a post on the Eagles game, the Phillies playoff push – no, I haven’t forgotten them – Sixers thoughts, etc.) Posts with picks added during the weekend may be tweeted out and potentially put in the comments section of the weekly picks post on Facebook and LinkedIn. Unless I hear from subscribers, I will not send out notifications about additional picks over the weekend – unless I suddenly decide to make a huge pick that I didn’t mention in the weekly post. (Don’t think that will happen.) Monday night picks that were not included in the weekly post will be put on social media and sent to subscribers.

I will try to post additional picks on the weekend by noon on Saturday or Sunday, and hopefully much earlier for games starting at 12 PM or 1 PM. (I realize I’m probably boring the hell out of anyone still reading, but transparency is important with picks.) The best thing to do if you’re interested in additional picks on the weekend is to simply check the site around 11-11:30 AM.

Comments

Popular Posts