Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Get My Motivational E-Book "Reach Past Your Limits"
Click here for information on all of my books.

Fire Sirianni?

Would you fire Nick Sirianni?

Eagles hat
The Eagles collapse ended with a Wild Card playoff loss last night in Tampa Bay, 32-9. From 10-1 to 11-6, the Birds went from Super Bowl contender to a team in disarray. Symbolic of the seemingly inexplicable 1-5 finish plus a one-and-done playoff was the sudden change of defensive coordinators – a panic moved that accomplished nothing.

The Eagles were buried by Troy Aikman and Joe Buck for a lack of effort on the Monday Night Football last night. At one point, Aikman said that even the body language looked bad for the Birds. I have to think that will rankle Eagles owner Jeff Lurie, a guy who desperately wants to be seen as the mastermind of an elite franchise.

Legitimate injury excuses exist. The Eagles defense was peppered with injuries most of the season. Suggestions are out there that Jalen Hurts is banged up more than has been reported.

Sirianni has also had a lot of success early on. He had the best record of any new Eagles head coach through two seasons and took the team to a Super Bowl just last season.

Is that enough to save the job of a guy who may have “lost the locker room?”

My guess is “yes.”

I’m not saying the answer should be “yes,” I’m guessing that it will be . . . unless Lurie can land Bill Belichik. I don’t think Lurie could control himself if that were a possibility. Otherwise, I think his desire to be seen as having a stable franchise keeps Lurie from firing Sirianni.

For the record, I think Sirianni should be gone. I’ll have more to say on it another day, but I think his early success, though undeniable, was fool’s gold. I think he likes being the brash young guy who does things like going for it on fourth down in his own end. Its great when things work out, but when they don’t, you better have some coaching abilities behind it. I don’t think he does.

A broadcaster recently said while doing a game that Sirianni said that the Eagles start each set of downs at 1st-and-9 because they know they can get the 10th yard with the “tush push” – the Eagles’ heralded quarterback sneak play.

Great. What else ya got, Nick?

Get in the comments and let us know if you would make a change at head coach for the Eagles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kickoff ‘23

Birds Trade for O-lineman; Week-in-Review

NFL Week 4, College Picks 🏈 Peeking at the Phillies World Series Odds ⚾