Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Get My Motivational E-Book "Reach Past Your Limits"
Click here for information on all of my books.

Rapid Fire Week-in-Review: Sixers as Playoff Contenders, Leighton Waved, Vick's Percentages, Tweet of the Week, more

It’s a snowy Friday with some potentially great football ready to go for the weekend. For the first time in 2011, I’m taking my look back at the sports stories of the last 7 days that caught my attention but didn’t quite get a post, and offering my rapid fire opinion on each topic. This week was all about the E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles heading into the playoffs, but there really were a few other things going on.

Here’s my Rapid Fire Week-in-Review:

• These words haven’t been uttered in a while, but if the season ended today . . . the 76ers would be in the playoffs. I don’t want to hear any idiots calling sports talk radio to say it would be better if they were in the Lottery.

• I’m not a hockey guy, but how does Michael Leighton go from a stud goaltender to waivers in less than a year? The sport just makes people nuts when they’re trying to get into it. Making sense of it from the outside is impossible.

• Mike Vick has been offering updates on his thigh all week. Between Tuesday and Wednesday it jumped from 50 to 75 percent. It was up to 90 percent by Thursday. Do I hear 95? 95? How ‘bout 100? What is the point of asking him to update the percentage every day? It’s stupid.

• Tweet of the Week: From Harry Mayes of 97.5 The Fanatic, “I need some of [Mike Vick’s] vitamins...he went from 75% to 90% in one day!!??”

• Andrew Luck, the consensus number 1 selection in the NFL Draft, has chosen to return to Stanford next season and some people are actually ripping him. Why? The NFL might not even have a season next fall. I can’t see why anyone would come out early this year. The threat of a lockout/strike is clearly the reason why guys like Tom Coughlin and Gary Kubiak still have jobs – franchises aren’t about to pay a guy still under contract plus a new coach they might not need until 2012.

• I never thought I’d say this about a college coach jumping to the pros, but I think Jim Harbaugh would be nuts to leave Stanford for the NFL now. Ride Luck for another year and let the NFL take care of its business. Obviously, it’s easy to say that when I’m not the one turning down millions of dollars. But with Luck coming back, Stanford’s probably a favorite to win the national championship next year. I have to figure Harbaugh can get Stanford to buck up for a year and still be a hot commodity next year – after the new collective bargaining agreement is in place.

• On Monday, NFL PR guy Greg Aiello tweeted, “Our TV ratings guru just reported: Most-watched NFL season ever among NFL broadcast networks, ESPN & NFL Network.” Just noting this for when the owners cry poor during the lockout.

• Of course, if you listen to the commish, Roger Goodell, there’s nothing to worry about. In an e-mail to millions of fans, he wrote, “Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the player’s union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset: I know we can and will reach an agreement.” Do you think the NFLPA was in the recipients list?

• It’s time for the NBA to take the Dunk Contest out back and shoot it. The league released the contestants this week – Blake Griffin, Brandon Jennings, Serge Ibaka and JaVale McGee. Excited? Me neither.

• Finally, it’s that time of year when every local media outlet starts their sports coverage by referring to the “Eagles Road to the Super Bowl.” I’m not big on jinxes, but . . . c’mon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kickoff ‘23

Birds Trade for O-lineman; Week-in-Review

NFL Week 4, College Picks 🏈 Peeking at the Phillies World Series Odds ⚾