Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Get My Motivational E-Book "Reach Past Your Limits"
Click here for information on all of my books.

Rob’s Rants on Former Players as NFL Analysts


          It’s time for what is quickly becoming my favorite post to write. Here’s another Rob’s Rants:

·       I actually heard Ike Reese on Tuesday on WIP defending Jimmy Rollins’ occasional lack of hustle. Not only that, he did it by suggesting that Chase Utley might be able to play more often if he knew when to back-off. It was a completely absurd attempt to kiss the ass of an athlete. Reese is the same guy who defended Andy Reid last week by saying his play calling in the Eagles’ opener wasn’t a barometer for what might happen in the next game. Seriously? How about the fact that his play calling has sucked for 13 seasons?

          Reese actually responded to my tweet calling his comment about Rollins “utterly stupid,” saying, “[T]hat’s why he’s missing more games each year. I said pick and choose his spots wisely. Maybe he would be available 5 days a week. [F]unny how we want Vick to be more careful with his body so that he [is] available every week. Why isn’t this logic apply to Chase? [B]ut what do I know?”

          Considering Reese was advocating less hustle, I thought his last question was a good one. In my reply, I added that reports are that more activity in the off-season would be helpful for Utley’s knees, so suggesting less effort doesn’t seem to apply. As I finished my reply to Reese, “I’m no doc, but neither are you.”

          I get it, he was going for the former athlete knows best thing, especially when dealing with criticism from a blogger I’m sure. He used the same “logic” yesterday defending Reid’s play calling again by saying Donovan McNabb isn’t Tom Brady, and that Reid would have won a Super Bowl with Brady.

          Gee, McNabb isn’t Brady? Really? Maybe that’s why Reid should have adjusted his play calling. Reese played for Reid, obviously loves the guy possibly because the coach kept the mediocre linebacker around in his playing days, and goes out of his way to “have his back.”

          Apparently being a former athlete doesn’t make you a good analyst.

          The fact is Utley is already available more than five days a week. But besides all of that, people don’t get on Rollins for preserving his body. They get on him when he flat out doesn’t run.

          Reese’s analogy to Mike Vick is horrendous. Wanting Vick to avoid a big hit from a linebacker so he can literally play another down is a hell of a lot different than thinking Rollins should run out a pop-up.

          But what do I know?

          I know one thing for sure. They need to get these former athletes off the air if they don’t have the guts to criticize former coaches or fellow athletes.

 

·       If I hear one more so-called analyst of the NFL talk about a play by throwing out the jargon that his former team or coach used when he was a player I may actually puke. Ok, that’s a lie, because we all know it will happen again, probably before I can finish typing this sentence, and I’m not actually going to barf. But enough! Mark Schlereth and Merrill Hoge are a couple of the worst offenders. I don’t know who they think they’re impressing. They need to get over the fact that they can’t play anymore. No fan watches a great play and thinks, “Gee, that must be the ol’ Streak-9-double-down-burger-with-cheese that Mark Schlereth talked about.” Using their old jargon is just a way of saying, “I played in the league and you didn’t.” Great. It doesn’t add color to the analysis, and certainly doesn’t increase the fans’ knowledge. These guys need to offer some actual insight for the two minutes per segment in-between the graphics, highlights, and noise, that they’re paid to talk or just shut up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kickoff ‘23

NFL Week 4, College Picks 🏈 Peeking at the Phillies World Series Odds ⚾

Week 6 NFL, College Football Picks 🏈🏈🏈