The Birth of Super Crip is now available!
Click here to get it in paperback or on Kindle.


I’ve been blogging about sports and more again at http://robjquinn.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Visions of the “Four Aces” Warming the Winter Doldrums

In my opinion the best part of February is that it’s more than half over. While we’re enjoying a few days of above average temperatures in the Philadelphia area, we know it’s just a tease. We’re entering the vacuum of sports entertainment known as the NBA All-Star Weekend, March Madness is still a few weeks away, and the NHL playoffs are even further away.

But for some the start of spring training is a beacon of better days to come. Don’t get me wrong, I have a vague countdown to Opening Day in my head too. I recently saw another PhotoShop image of the “Four Aces” – or whatever it is we’re calling the Phillies outstanding pitching rotation – that will have to suffice for this week’s Hump Day Distraction as we anxiously await the crack of the bat. Just one thing: Could we lay off Joe Blanton? He’s actually not a terrible pitcher, and people seem to want to rip him because he’s not an ace. It’s not his fault he ended up on a staff with Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels.


UPDATE 3/5/11: A blogger named Kyle Scott Laskowski has claimed the above as his creation. I saw it through various internet outlets, and didn’t really view it as something that needed credit. I have not confirmed nor do I dispute his claim, and apologize for any oversight. Laskowski writes for Philly Sports Daily, which he claimed has been around for 27 years. It’s actually been around less than a year. Possibly he was referring to his own blog, Crossing Broad, which has posts going back to December 2009 according to its archives. He also eagerly pointed out that I asked him for a link exchange, a fairly common practice among bloggers. He’s actually correct on that one. He has since deleted all of his link exchanges as far as I can tell. Laskowski also wrote a post on PSD comparing an incident in one of his roller hockey games to the incident involving Holy Family’s basketball coach, which I criticized as a ridiculous comparison. My opinion hasn’t changed. I hope this clears up any confusion.

UPDATE #2: Laskowski has now admitted on the same Facebook thread, an earlier version of which was captured in twitpics and is linked to above, that someone else created the image. He claims it was created at his request by a reader. So why the fuss? I have no clue. The creator easily could have e-mailed it to others, which eventually spread the image out on the internet or via e-mail. I did not pirate anything from Laskowski’s blog. (Via e-mail, Laskowski said the creator was a Jason Jefferies. I’m happy to credit the man, and to be done with the issue.)

No comments: